Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Chickpea Bikkies....


this is not my photo, but they look about the same.

So I have professed to having some sort of problem buying endless cans of chickpeas (NOT lentils, der).

So this is what I do with them - and the kids never know ba HA HA HA hahahahaha!

Drain and rinse can of chickpeas. Put the oven on moderate (180c).
Then get a BIG bowl and thrown in a cup of firmly packed brown sugar and 3/4 cup margarine spread (yep, use butter if you like but I use the olive oil spread stuff) and mix it all together till it's smooth. If you have a Kitchen Aid or some other such wonderful machine use that but I'm POVVO so I use a crap beater thing cursing all the way.
Beat in an egg and 2 tsp VANILLA extract.

Whilst you are doing this you can distract the children by putting the chickpeas into a big ziplock bag and give them ladles and big spoons to belt the bag of chickpeas. Blutack in ears optional.

Get a cup of white choc chips and a cup of brown (but if you boycott Nestle like you should, you will chop up a block of fairtrade chocolate) and add that to the mix.

Next add 2 cups of flour (wholemeal is fine), half a cup of rolled oats, one tsp BAKING SODA and 1/4 tsp of salt.

Mix until it's sorta doughy, line a baking tray with baking paper and drop spoonfuls of the mix onto the tray and flatten them down a little. Bake for 10-12 minutes - don't overcook these babies, they will harden nicely when they cool.

I sometimes add more rolled oats or use a muesli mix instead and sometimes I roughly chop up dried fruit and pull back on the chocolate a bit.



Always in the lunchboxes...

4 comments:

Diminishing Lucy said...

Povvo is better. I made a similar chickpea recipe once and sent the effing chickpeas flying like bullets all over the kitchen, thanks to the fancy smancy effing mixer. The kids pissed themselves laughing.

But you have inspired me to perhaps try again, uncooking Lulu. xx

Anonymous said...

That is why you have the pouring shield Lucy. It helps stop the splatter ;)

Thanks for posting this. I have been wondering for awhile what your chickpea biscuit recipe was.

Nelle said...

You are not the only one that buys chickpeas in a compulsive manner my friend. Looking forward to trying this. xo

Diminishing Lucy said...

Astrid......pouring sheild? That rings a bell. My mixer is a Kenwood that my parents were given as a wedding pressie in 1968...still going strong over 40 years later....and I do remember, I think, my Mum using some sort of soft plastic shield?